Monday, December 28, 2015

Bah, Humbug

A simple bit of decoration I threw together to decorate the tiny plot of land I call a "front yard". Originally, it was to be accompanied by a monster mud Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come prop, but unfortunately I ran out of time. It was a simple tombstone thrown together out of odds and ends: two square sheets of green foam from Lowes I got for $5 each; a length of PVC pipe cut into lengths to act as spines; some gray latex "oops" paint (also from Lowes); and some black and white acrylic paint, along with a box-cuter. I used the box cutter to cut and engrave the tombstones (no template for the shape, I did it free hand), and to engrave both the lettering as well as hollow out the channels for the PVC pipe. I glued it all together with some Gorilla Glue, then sanded down the edges of the tombstone. I filled in the lettering with black acrylic paint, then painted the tombstone with two coats of the gray latex paint. I then drybrushed it vertically with white acrylic paint to create a faux stone texture, then finally tea-stained with watered down black acrylic paint.

One of my Halloween pumpkins visible in the background.
I think it adds a rather festive touch, if I do say so myself.

1 comment:

  1. It has all the humble charm of a decoration made two decades ago, before the term "home haunting" was coined.

    ReplyDelete